Comfort in our homes starts with the little things, and often, a well-made bed tops that list. Learning how to put on a top sheet might seem trivial, yet it's a necessary step toward a well-made bed.
As we unveil the effortless process of draping a top sheet, we'll also shed light on choosing the appropriate sheet for your mattress. From how often to change them to how it's done, here is what you need to know about covering your bed with a top sheet.What this article covers:
- How to Properly Put on a Top Sheet
- How to Make Your Bed With a Fitted Sheet and a Top Sheet
- How to Choose the Right Top Sheet
How to Properly Put on a Top Sheet
Our findings show that whether you've opted for king size flat sheets or sheets made from bamboo, putting on a top sheet in the right manner is important for ensuring a tidy, comfortable sleeping area. Learning to do it right can help alleviate future hassle and frustration.
While the process is straightforward, knowing the steps is key.
- Start by evenly spreading the top sheet across the bed, ensuring the top of the sheet aligns with the top of the mattress. The finished edge should be at the head of the bed, with equal overhang on each side.
- For a neat and tidy look, fold the sheet under the mattress using hospital corners. To do this, first tuck the sheet under the mattress at the foot of the bed, then fold and tuck the sides to create a smooth, tight fit.
- Once the sheet is on, smooth out any wrinkles by hand. A well-smoothed sheet is more comfortable to sleep under and looks more inviting.
- Fold the top of the sheet down about 6 to 8 inches from the top, creating a cuff. Based on our observations, this also makes it easier to get into bed and adds a decorative touch.
Why use a top sheet? It can act to protect your other bedding from dirt and bodily residue.
How to Make Your Bed with a Fitted Sheet and a Top Sheet
- Begin with the fitted sheet. Ensure your mattress is clean and free from any debris before spreading your twin size fitted sheet or whichever size you're using.
- Align the corners of the fitted sheet with the corners of the mattress, starting at the head of the bed, working your way around, pulling the elastic under the mattress to secure it. Do you put a fitted sheet over a mattress topper? Yes, and the steps remain the same.
- Lay the top sheet flat on the mattress, ensuring the finished edge aligns with the top of the mattress.
- As stated earlier, smooth out any wrinkles, then tuck the sides and foot of the top sheet under the mattress.
How to Choose the Right Top Sheet
- In the battle of top sheet vs flat sheet, a flat sheet emerges as a type of sheet that can be used as a top sheet.
- Pick the right material. Our research indicates that cotton is recommended for its breathability and softness. It's a natural fiber that can help keep you cool. Our sheet sets, ranging from our twin bed sheets set, extra long twin sheets, and sateen sheet set, are available in this hypoallergenic fiber.
- Evaluate the thread count. Generally, a higher thread count indicates a softer and more durable sheet. However, the quality of the material is also crucial, and a higher thread count isn't always better if the quality of the material is poor.
- It's important to match the size of your top sheet to your mattress size (e.g., twin, full, queen, king) to ensure a good fit and sufficient coverage.
Mastering the simple act of putting on a top sheet can elevate your bed-making game. As we have seen, the steps are easy to implement. All you need to do is spread, tuck, and tidy. Just don't forget to lay down a fitted sheet first.
Looking for the right top sheet for your sleep sanctuary? Peruse our collection of flat sheets for a neater bedding experience with California Design Den!
If you want to learn more, why not check out these articles below:
- What Are Top Sheets
- What Size Is a Queen Fitted Sheet?
- What Size Sheets Fit a Queen Pillow Top Mattress
- Will a Queen Sheet Fit a Full XL Bed?
- What Do Percale Sheets Feel Like?
- Best Percale Sheets
- Do Percale Sheets Wrinkle
- What Is Cotton Percale Sheets?
- Do Bamboo Sheets Pill
- Do Bamboo Sheets Shrink?
- Do Bamboo Sheets Wrinkle?
- Luxury Bamboo Sheets Review
- Are Bamboo Sheets Good for Your Skin?
- How Are Bamboo Sheets Made?
- Best Split King Bamboo Sheets